MapRunG - MapRun on a Garmin Watch

MapRunG - MapRun on a Garmin Watch – This topic is for discussion of MapRunG.
Garmin login - unknown error – Trying to use MapRunG for the first time and I'm stuck on garmin connect login: There is an unknown connection issue between Cloudflare and the...
There appears to be an issue again as MaprunF is not able to find any tracks from the Garmin Server to upload. Not sure if Garmin have changed ...
I used MapRunG this afternoon and all recorded as expected on Garmin 245 watch and it transferred to Garmin connect but MapRunF does not find any ...
Yes. It did work last week so wondering if Garmin have changed the permissions or something? I'm sure Peter will be aware of this issue.
Mark, I've just had a look - we are getting errors back from Garmin when MapRunF tries to access the FIT files in Garmin Connect. It's poten...
Garmin are still working on issues: The response from Garmin at 20:30UTC/GMT on 3 August 2020 was: We are currently experiencing a downtime...
A reply from Garmin at 13:00 3 August 2020 (UTC/GMT): "We apologize for the inconvenience that outage is causing. Out team is aware of iss...
Saying this quietly, but appears that it may well be back up and running.
Mark, The watch has just upgraded itself to 9.80 software via Garmin Gonnect, but MapRunG still says my watch needs an upgrade to run! On W...
Peter is your man for these things. Silly question maybe - but MapRunG does run on that Garmin? I have no idea of MapRunG users in total, bu...
It's on the list of compatible devices. I think it's the initial app load that's the issue. Try again tomorrow. On Wed, 5 Aug 2020, 20:05 Ma...
We have multiple users with FR735XT watches. All I can suggest is: Unplug the device, power down device, shut down Garmin connect/express. Res...
The complete power cycle solution worked. Thanks. Now for some orienteering! On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 at 22:15, Peter Effeney [via MapRun] < m...
Mark Looks promising... I've been able to "Get track from Garmin" in MapRunF as well. Having said that, the status of their API is...
Thanks for the update, Peter. On Mon, 3 Aug 2020, 19:14 Peter Effeney [via MapRun], < ml+s250607n538h28@...> wrote: > A reply from...
Ah yes, I'm getting the same error now that I've done the run. If I can't get it working soon I'll try the manual upload mentioned below http://p...
If you upload via this link please tell me how you do it. I can't export the .gpx file from Garmin Connect for the activity. I can get the .FIT fi...
If you log on to Garmin Connect on the computer - you can download the GPX quite easily. You just find that activity and you will see the GPX opti...
I tried to do the export to gpx before Mark but at the moment this is what I get. 400 Bad request Your browser sent an invalid request. ...
David, What browser are you using? I am using Firefox and when clicking the settings cog you get the option to export as a TCX , GPX or Goo...
Edge Chromium On Sat, 1 Aug 2020, 20:34 Mark [via MapRun], < ml+s250607n508h98@...> wrote: > What browser are you using? > &g...
Maybe try downloading Firefox and see if it is a browser issue? The reason I suggest Firefox is I know that works for me.
Just downloaded Firefox and tried it. Same result - same error message. In both browsers I get the cog icon and the option to 'export to gpx' come...
I currently have the same issue - likely a residual effect from the Garmin issue. There are a number of converters available to handle your fit f...
Thanks. I think I will wait and see how things are tomorrow but will look up those converters anyway. On Sat, 1 Aug 2020, 21:45 MichaelRaz [vi...
Garmin website is still unhappy, so I downloaded the GPX from Strava and uploaded that. Probably the simplest workaround (as long as Garmin/Strava...
I just opened a Strava account and did the same as you, Edcatmur. Then on uploading to MapRunF it puts me at 49s faster for the 6.55k I ran. Oh, w...
Strange. Honestly baffled on that one.
I tried again just now and was able to login and upload a course to my watch, so whatever the issue is it's intermittent. Looking forward to givin...
I tried my first run and get the same problem. Can’t remember if I clicked on Garmin login before I did the trail, but, anyway, lots of people see...
Login to Garmin in MapRunF appears to be working fine generally ... although some Garmin Services are still down and there are issues with retriev...
EdI got this error from MapRunF when I first tried to login to Garmin after downloading MapRunG. It was caused by me not noticing the Garmin ID f...
I've been trying to put MapRunG on my Forerunner 735XT. Garmin Express has just updated the watch to V9.70 software. The App store tells me my w...
Garmin Down - Will MapRunG still work? – The Garmin outage is continuing longer than anyone expected. You CAN still run with MapRunG ... but getting your result uploaded is not as conv...
It looks like Garmin Connect is back up ... The connection to MapRunG seems to be working fine.... I can't see that data has been lost. Peter
Yup all good now. A few days ago the IQ Connect was telling porkies - that MapRunG would be on my FR245 next time I synced. No such thing. Now ...
Good news. It appears that Garmin Connect is now online with a limited capacity and will start to fully return later today. Strava are however ...
Somehow during this great Garmin ransomware pandemic, all my activities & IQ Apps got removed from my Fenix 3????? Even more annoying, curr...
Trying MapRunG for Garmin Forerunner 235. I currently use MapRunF v4.8.8 and I note MapRunG needs MapRunF v5. I cannot see v5 in the Apple AppStor...
MapRunG + MapRunF v5 are in beta testing. If you would like to do testing of beta software, email the support email address with whether you us...
Thanks Peter, I cannot see the support email address for looking. Would you let me know it and I’ll trial it. Si
Si, The details to contact are here. http://maprunners.weebly.com/contact.html
Perhaps someone can advise, but I can’t get MapRunG to appear on my Garmin Forerunner 235. In IQ Connect it says the app is loaded but it simply d...
Si Normally if an App is installed on the FR235: - press Start - then press up-arrow - to go through things like Run, Bike, Other - you shou...
I have the same problem that I can't get the MapRunG to run on my FR245 so I don't know my Garmin id so I can't link MapRunF to my watch... Is ...
Hi, If you don't know your Garmin account details you will need to request this from Garmin. I think the ive forgot details exists on Garmin. ...
Thanks Peter, found it. Expected it to be a bit more obvious! Will give it a go tomorrow and see if it proves a more reliable GPS tool. Si
Successfully completed a MapRun using G on F235. Left the phone in the car and it went like a dream. Also loaded back to phone when finished, firs...
Hi My Forerunner 235 is paired with phone, but when I try to send event to watch, receive message (on phone) "Connecting to Forerunner 235.....
Hi everyone. In order to get the event actually to your Garmin watch you need to not only have the watch and phone paired & connected via Blue...
Thank you, seems to be connecting now. I just completed a course using the phone, so will try on the next local event. Thanks again. Janelle. ...
Event Mismatch - not showing up on MapRunG/F – Tonight I ran an event with my Garmin Fenix 3. Watch performed perfect during event. Finished and exited MapRunG. Went to fetch event on my phone ...
Steve, I think it's simply an issue of following through the steps to make sure the watch has sync'd to Garmin Connect. When you see the tra...
Just incase people are not aware - Garmin is down at the moment so nothing will be syncing with the servers. So if you are unable to find your run...
I used MapRunG yesterday evening but I didn't upload my activity into MapRun until this morning. When I did so, my ride appears in the results wi...
Peter Thanks - Yes I think it would be better to use the date of the run rather than the date of the upload. I'm pretty sure it's not a MapRun...
Haha Thanks Peter
Hi Peter, My first outing with MapRunG was perfect. No issues. Today I did the same course and my Garmin only picked up 3 CPs, including the...
John Thanks for the post. What does the track look like? Does it go through the controls when displayed on your phone? Peter
Hi Peter, Thanks for response. Screenshot of map attached. Regards, John On 18 Jul 2020, 2:19 PM +1000, Peter Effeney [via MapRun] <m...
John It looks like your Garmin watch is set to Data Recording > "Smart" (and not "Every Second"). For more info see Sect...
Many thanks. Will try that. Curious as to why it works flawlessly first time around (haven’t changed data recording). Will report back on ne...
Hi Peter, Thanks for the quick response. Screenshot of map attached. Regards, John On 18 Jul 2020, 2:19 PM +1000, Peter Effeney [via Map...
Hi Peter I’ve tried out MapRunG and done a few experiments. Firstly, I really like it – great to be able to leave the phone behind and to have...
Peter, Thanks, what you suggest is the intended behaviour. So there is a bug or actually functionality missing. Currently MapRunF cuts off a...
Just tried MapRunG on my Fenix 3 and it worked well on a course with 27 controls (Maungaraki P-Max 2013). Related to this S1 comment, I did get...
- deleted -
...and those "seriously more money" Garmins let you do things like download custom apps such as MapRunG rather than only having the simp...
I have done a run today using my Garmin watch paired with maprun f at Lichfield. I may have made a mistake when I finished in starting another run...
Neil What happens when you tap "Previous Track"? I mean in MapRunF > Show Results > Get Track from Garmin > should show t...
Hi Peter, Nothing happens when I tap Previous Track. I have now deleted the 12 second track I did from Garmin connect and resynced.My original 8...
Neil, Was one of the tracks originally available when you went > Show Results > Get track from Garmin? Or have you only ever received the ...
Hi Peter, Our club Maprun admin officer has given me a work around to manually uplosad the GPX file from Garmin connect to the console which has ...
Neil. You say both runs have synced - however your first run appears empty. Did you start and stop it near enough straight away? Then I assume...
Hi Mark, Yes I ran the 8km course first ran through the finish. Also checked that the course was on Garmin connect, as it still is. Neil
Having trouble with pairing Watch and Phone – We've had a couple of enquiries from people not seeing the Watch ID displayed on their Watch when they first install MapRunG. Following are so...
Removing activities from the watch – Hi Peter fenix 5s, iPhone X (MapRunF 5.0.9 - MapRunG 0.3.4) I think we need the ability to clear down MapRunG tracks/activities from the watch...
Paul, Thanks for that - I agree with the need to be able to clear MapRunG activities from a watch. I've never manually deleted activities from ...
Hi Peter I may have misled you? My watch does not show any activities after deleting. However from MapRunF when I select " Get track ...
Paul, OK - I understand now. So yes - MapRunG Activities do get deleted from the watch like any other Activity. But deleting an Activity fr...
Hi Peter I would agree - although I am still seeing tracks as available to use for results in MapRunF that have just been deleted in Garmin C...
Paul, I'm pretty sure Garmin won't send MapRunF an update when someone deletes a track from Garmin Connect, (for a track that Garmin have previ...
Hi Peter I just checked and no error.  Its just a bit confusing and if the user selects to use the track then results are published (in my ca...
Paul So you delete a MapRunG Activity from Garmin Connect and then try to "Get Track from Garmin" and it sends you what? - The origi...
Hi Peter My test scenario is worst case I think - so not typical. I have selected a track that has been deleted (as i didn't anticipate it ...
Paul, Thanks - I'll put it on my list to see if HITMO can handle this scenario better, Peter
Hi Peter I’m using a Garmin 645Music and linking to an iPad. I’ve installed MapRunG on the phone and put in the Watch ID to MapRunF. When I t...
Alistair How is your phone connected to the internet - maybe a firewall? Peter
Thanks. Changed to a different network. Everything worked. Thanks for your help.
Alistair - Great to hear, Peter
Peter, Thank you for producing MapRunG, I have tried it out on a couple of occasions now it has been released and I am really impressed. On on...
Pete, As noted in the documentation, the Forerunner 235 is at the bottom end of the range of capabilities required to run this App... and so we...
Pete, I've had a bit more time to look at the event you were using. It has 36 controls + S1/F1 - which is very close to the limit we found in ...
Hi Peter fenix 5s, iPhone X (MapRunF 5.0.9 - MapRunG 0.3.4) I was unable to retrieve track / results from today’s test run in MapRunF with the f...
Paul Thanks for the report… looks like the server got into a bind… due to a separate issue… should be right now. Regards Peter On 8 Ju...
Hi Peter Thanks, Just checked, worked fine Paul Paul Basher email: prbasher@... On 08/07/2020 20:17, Peter Effeney [via MapRun] wrote...
Hi Peter, I tried again using my Garmin 645 today and whatever prior results issue I had didn't recur - checkpoints, time, distance, routegadge...
Richard, Sorry - I'm not sure I told everyone this - but it's best to remove the version that we directly installed via copying files with USB....
Hi Peter, I re-"ran" today using MapRunG version 0.3.1 on my Garmin 645 and MapRunF 5.0.7 on iOS. In summary, it's not pulling throug...
Hi Peter, I've updated my Garmin 645 to use v 0.3.4 and iOS to v 5.0.8. Get track from Garmin still gives the orange warning message as before ...
Richard, Thanks - great to hear. I've looked at the logs and the warning is now subtly different: WARNING Substitute data being used for Deve...
Fenix 3HR. All appeared ok, but not able to retrieve track. Shows on Garmin connect ok.
That's interesting Richard, I had exactly the same error message today. Worked fine during run but failed at the retrieving track from Garmin Conn...
We suspect that there may be some data overflow issue occurring. There is a new version of MapRunG - 0.3.3 aimed at addressing this ... althou...
5.0.8 Fenix5X latest MapRunG Not really much to say - tried a QuickStart lake Kayak course and everything ran as expected. I used MapRunF as w...
Ran today on the latest versions of everything. All worked perfectly, watch was quick and accurate and the upload sync at the end appeared quic...
Thanks for the feedback (and testing). Once you sign into Garmin connect in MapRun, when you are getting tracks from Garmin, it shows all activ...
Thanks Peter. I'll not bother worrying about that then. Tested again today and perfect experience again. Definitely more accurate than the phon...
MapRunF 5.0.9 Beta iPhone XS Max IOS 13.5.1 Fenix 5X Although not specifically related to MapRunG, I tested the latest MapRunF build just re...
Peter, I have twice received email notification regarding an update available through TestFlight (IOS) - latest being 5.0.8 but TestFlight is stil...
Same with me. Si
Sorry, maybe it got tripped up by the Apple (2-3 step process). I published it to TestFlight for a small group of "internal users" - wh...
I too have received two email notifications that an update is available in testflight, but when I open testflight the only version available is 5....
Andrew It's showing in the Apple admin tool to me as available with 6 people having installed it. I've 'expired' some of the previous versions...
Peter, same here, still only get 5.0.5, or Error, Try Again. Si
Si, Maybe try deleting MapRunF… if you don’t mind losing history… and then seeing if TestFlight will give you 5.0.8?? Or wait a bit and see if...
Same problem. Tried deleting 5.0.5 and TestFlight but now still only shows the old version but cannot install it.
Michael - I've deleted you from the testers and then re-added you. Any improvement? Peter
That worked. Thanks Peter.
Good new Michael. Peter - can you do the same for me please? Thanks, Si
Si - Done - Let me know if there are still issues, Peter
Tried again to update to 5.0.8 this morning and worked perfectly.
Peter Do you want to delete me also and I will delete MapRunF at my end Paul Paul Basher email: prbasher@... On 04/07/2020 22:51, P...
Paul, Now done at my end ...not sure you'll need to delete MapRunF. Peter
Hi Peter I didn’t need to , all updated Thanks, Paul Sent from my iPhone > On 4 Jul 2020, at 23:06, Peter Effeney [via MapRun] <ml+s...
Sorted - thank you. Si
Peter I tried an iPhone reboot but still the same 5.0.5 only available I don't think I will delete MapRunF as it didn't work for others. ...
Hi Peter, I have deleted MapRunF. Can still see 5.0.5 via TestFlight, but it now won’t install as you’ve removed it (that bit works!). No op...
Hi Peter Regarding Testflight updates - still not showing up. TestFlight is still stuck on 5.0.5 so missed 5.0.7 and .8 versions. Only thing ...
MapRunF 5.0.8 has now been released. I'm hoping this is the 'final' beta version. Importantly, it handles cases where the FIT file is being retu...
Hi Peter I am still seeing 5.0.5 Paul Paul Basher email: prbasher@... On 04/07/2020 21:03, Peter Effeney [via MapRun] wrote: > Ma...
Paul Thanks - I've just now 'expired' 5.0.5 incase that was the issue. Some people at least are seeing 5.0.8 Peter
Hi Peter Another test run today fenix 5s, MapRunG (0.3.4), MapRunF(still 5.05). Approximately 8.5km, Time: 01hr 07min 46secs.11 controls punc...
More feedback – Took the Fenix 6S Pro out for another couple of runs with the latest updates. The first was a linear course with a remote start. Having transferre...
Initial setup with Fenix 3 – My first attempt at setting up on my Fenix 3 (non HR) Garmin watch. Installed TestFlight and MapRunG OK Installed MapRunG Connect IQ OK Followi...
Re: Initial run with Fenix 3 - crashed the watch – Went for a run last night. Still had Brisbane Botanic Gardens course loaded in watch. Arrived at my designated CP to start anywhere. Problem 1...
Steve, Thanks for doing the testing... the key issue being the crash. I've run your track back through the watch emulator to see if I can ge...
Peter, I'm quite an advanced user of the Fenix 3, so I'm quite capable of downloading the log files off my watch if you tell me what you want a...
Steve, Thanks for that... Could you try to extract the log files and send them to me please: Debug logs ========== Debug logs are accessed...
logs sent - although I found the one you wanted in /Garmin/Apps/LOGS/CIQ_LOG.txt
Steve Report back from our Garmin Guru: "In the CIQ_LOG.txt the bottom messages are of interest. I do see Out Of Memory Error. So i...
OK, have downloaded new version and will have a play.
Vivoactive 3, in the forest with 18 controls in total, worked perfectly, responded more quickly than using the phone. Very pleased.
I did 3 small maprun line events today using G and a Fenix 3. I had a few ‘operator errors’ setting the system up and MichaelRaz was a great help ...
Ian Thanks for the testing. Events: - If you send the event from MapRunF then open MapRunG on the watch, it will automatically try to get the...
Two sprint events today with Fenix 5X and the latest MapRunG CIQ app version. i also ran with iPhone XS Max in upper arm band. In general both t...
Michael, Thanks for the testing. We've tested on an FR235 so probably OK at this stage unless he's really wanting to. Peter
Fenix 5X, iPhone XS Max (everything latest software) Install: Overall a very good integration with the Garmin environment with no system lev...
Yes I agree with MichaelRaz, there is no need to keep track of number of controls that have been punched, you have to do this yourself in "no...
Thanks for the suggestion. See version 0.3.1 of MapRunG in the ConnectIQ Store which implement this change.
Tried again today and tracking and function worked well. Instant sending of course to watch. Was a bit slower at times at registering the co...
Thanks Peter. The PT is locked on the MapRunG.... but the same event on MapRunF allows you to change the PT.
Paul, A few points: - The default setting for whether Punching Tolerance is locked or not for a published event, had been UNLOCKED. This has...
Thanks Peter. Yes... for much of the routes here in the forest a PT of 30m or more is pretty essential. With MapRunF for the Parkend 7 event h...
Paul, For published events, the Admin sets the punching tolerance and this applies to MapRunF and MapRunG I have now fixed the bug that allo...
Thanks Peter. Right - with MapRunF 5.0.6 you have 'fixed the bug' so that no user can change the PT to anything other than 15m? On 4.8.4 it w...
Paul My last word on this. It has ALWAYS been possible for the publisher of the event to set the punching tolerance (for MapRunF). Nothing h...
Peter, Reference the Punching Tolerance issue - thanks for the clarification - I was not seeing consistent functionality but, as it was a bug, ...
OK - I hadn't heard of that use case. Sounds reasonable. So for published events: - the default value is 15m and by default it is locked - t...
Tested today and new version works well. Display is clear and some nice data on the screens as you scroll across. Question from a club member. ...
Watches need to be capable of running Apps to run MapRunG. The definitive list of supported watches is shown in the Garmin ConnectIQ Store at...
Michael, Thanks for the testing and the feedback. OK re font size and screen layouts. Slow reaction - Have you changed your watch to one-...
Peter, Thanks for the return comments. Delay: I generally always use 1 sec - Unless I see something more dramatic I don't suspect this has a...
Hi Peter fenix 5s, iPhone X (MapRunF 5.0.5 - MapRunG 0.3.1) Install: Very easy to install, worked first time - just one issue. When logging i...
A successful trip out on a line course with the Fenix 6S Pro this evening. A bit of faff initially trying to upload the course due to lack of conn...
I've now tried the app on 3 maprun routes that I've done before with phone maprunf. Unlike the maprunf phone based app I can't change the punch t...
Paul I sent you a lengthy email on this point yesterday. See section 9.6 of the documentation... MapRunG uses the punching tolerance set for...
Sorry should have said I have Fenix6S Pro
Seems to be working well on my daughter's Garmin245.
In case I missed anyone who did a direct install of MapRunG via USB ... please delete this version and make sure you have the latest version from...
Hi Peter, Silly question. How do I put auto update on Garmin Connect? That is something that I was looking for and don't appear to be able to s...
In Garmin Connect on my phone: > ... (bottom right)> Connect IQ Store > Display the WatchFaces/Apps/Datafields/... on your device >...
Ran a score course today with the latest version and was absolutely perfect. Quick responsiveness on GPS, accuracy was very good and download and ...
Connect IQ Store – MapRunG isn't showing up in the Connect IQ Store for me (yet).
David, ??? Maybe try again please. Others have been able to download it. Maybe some caching issue? 0.2.3 was initially available; now 0.2.4 sh...
No - still nothing. Even tried installing the IQ Store on another device and nothing there either. Perhaps some sort of regional limitation or rol...
David, What Garmin device do you have paired with your phone? Peter
It's paired to the Fenix 6s Pro.
Probably my fault - I had you down as having a FR235 and fenix6S. I think the issue is we haven't included fenix6S Pro in the beta test! Can you...
We'll try to add fenix6S Pro to the list... but it may take a day or so.
Thanks Peter
David, fenix 6S Pro is now available in the store (v 0.2.5). No need to import all your wife's runs (and get credit for them!!) Peter
Thanks, Peter - installed via the Store and ready for the next outing on Wednesday! (My wife was making grumbling noises about my attempts to conn...
Life is never simple! The FR235 is my wife's so I try to install Connect IQ Store on her (ageing) phone and I get "Your device isn't compatib...
Try a different way. Garmin Connect App Menu Connect IQ Store Tap the device Do you want to install Connect IQ (choose not now) Then sear...
Just to add if you didn't know you can pair more than one Garmin device to the Connect app on the mobile. So you can add your wife's watch to y...
Thanks Mark. I did consider that but I don't particularly want Connect to drag all the data off my wife's watch into my account.
Hi, Its available in the UK as I've downloaded it for my VivoActive HR. I've just seen the update so downloaded that. My question was goi...
My wife and I ran a course with MapRunG today. I used Fenix 3 and my wife used 235. We had a few troubles setting it up firstly on my wifes ip...
I actually love the data and think it works really well. I guess if you need glasses to read I can see why people would think its small, but for t...
Happy to beta test. Fenix 5X